A word: I do not want to be an influencer, or to have a big following, and I for damn sure don’t want to be famous - I’ve seen people in the limelight before, and it usually fucks them up pretty good. The typical arc seems to be somebody getting notable for saying something incisive or interesting, then getting a following, then having that following turn against them when they put their own foot in their mouth up to the knee, cue the drama explosion and public knife fight - this has happened over and over again, and I don’t want any part of it.
I don’t have a Bluesky account, I don’t post on X/Twitter, I don’t dialogue or beef with notable gaming personalities - I don’t want to; I have nothing to say to them and I imagine that they have anything to say to me. I don’t have a Youtube channel or a podcast and I’m pretty sure that I don’t want to appear on either. I’m anonymous on Reddit and should probably close my Facebook account, as it’s become a stress-delivering shitpit.
I am content to be a silent nobody; even this blog is a risk.
I moderated RPGnet for a long time and I wrote the FATAL review, but the FATAL review was a long time ago and I stopped being an active moderator for RPGnet in about 2020 or so. I’m a creature of the old Internet. This new stuff confuses and frightens me.
I am also going to say this: This isn’t RPGnet. I’m going to say and do things that I wouldn’t be able to do on RPGnet because it’s my own blog. (I’ve had people suggest that I represented RPGnet on the greater Internet because of my position on RPGnet; fuck that. This was back in the infancy of RPGnet, mind you; nobody’s pulled shit that stupid since.) That’s not a license for me to act the fool, but I’m not going to self-censor to obey rules that don’t apply here.
No comments:
Post a Comment